4 Benefits of Eco-Conscious, Sustainable Packaging
Posted By: Karl Wirtz
Posted On: 30th November ‘ 16
The trend towards greener, sustainable packaging is here to stay. More than ever, consumers are looking for eco-friendly, socially responsible options – whether that means finding packaging made with recycled materials, engineered to be compostable, or designed to take up less space.
Before making the switch to environmentally sensitive packaging, it’s important to research your options and understand how you can make an effective transition.
Keep reading to learn the four ways eco-conscious packaging can benefit your business:
1. Reduce Energy and Resource Consumption
Finding innovative ways to cut down on how many resources and materials you use can help manage costs, minimize waste, and create functional solutions:
- Using fewer resources limits the amount of trash that makes its way to landfills.
- Streamline production to control consumption of water, electricity, and other resources.
- Choose lighter packaging to lower shipping and handling fees.
Making these types of changes will enable you to maximize efficiency at every stage of a package’s lifecycle.
2. Increase Your Product-to-Package Ratio
Eco-friendly packaging doesn’t mean using exclusively sustainable materials. It can also mean using less overall – making packaging as compact as possible while still keeping your product protected. Retailers also like this type of efficient packaging as it’s easier for them to handle and stock on store shelves.
Strategies to maximize product-to-package ratios include:
- Using a variety of package sizes. Remember, one size doesn’t necessarily fit all. Trying to save money by relying on a single size of box to store, handle, and ship your products can result in increased costs for transportation.
- Experimenting with automated systems to choose the best option, pre-configuring them to find the right package and box size for each product.
- Working with an experienced co-packer to help you analyze your needs and determine the packaging and storage solutions that will be best for you.
Do you know the four essentials of packaging design? Read our blog to find out!
3. Make Your Package Easy to Use, Which Will Encourage Consumption
The United States generates roughly 34 million tons of food waste alone every year. Whether you produce food or pharmaceuticals, you can encourage sustainable consumption by making it easy for customers to use as much of your product as possible before they need to dispose of it.
4. Attract New Customers with Your Green Packaging!
The global market for sustainable packaging is projected to exceed $270 billion by 2020. Millennials, whose purchasing power is rapidly on the rise, are especially interested in choosing socially and environmentally responsible brands.
Whatever your product, it’s important to design its packaging with intent – ensuring it meets both the evolving needs of both your business and consumer demand.
At WG, our experts can handle co-packaging projects according to your unique needs. We have more than 200,000 sq ft of warehouse space, certified facilities, temperature-controlled environments, nut-free facilities, and more. Contact us today to discuss your co-packing needs!
Read more from WG:
- The Essentials of Packaging Design
- Start-Ups: Are You Ready for a Co-Packer?
- 7 Tips for Choosing the Right Co-Packing Partner
- Congratulations to David John Vongalu, Winner of This Year’s WG Leadership Award at Sheridan College’s Pilon School of Business - June 23, 2017
- 4 Future-Forward Co-Packing Trends - May 2, 2017
- WG Connects with Companies Eager to Grow in North America at the International Sweet and Snack Fair in Germany - February 23, 2017