3 Tips to Successfully Scale Your Business with a Co-Packer
Posted By: Karl Wirtz
Posted On: 30th June ‘ 16
Working with a co-packer can help you take your business from a local success to a national sensation. To successfully ramp up production, you need to be ready. Not all co-packers are created equal and not all co-packers are right for you, which is why it’s important to make an informed decision.
Check out these 3 tips for successfully scaling your business with a co-packer:
1. Know Why You Need to Partner with a Co-Packer
It’s important you clearly understand why your business needs a co-packer before you begin looking for the right co-packing partner.
Reasons might include:
- Wanting to take advantage of the investments co-packers have already made in new facilities, equipment, or labour to boost production quickly.
- Needing additional certifications – including GFSI, HACCP, Kosher, or more – depending on your target markets and consumers.
- Looking to save time and money. Partnering with a co-packer lets you focus on your business while a co-packer focuses on theirs – handling production and packaging.
2. Understand the Manufacturing Process
Working with a co-packer will be easier if you have a firm handle on how your products will be made and packaged. Your co-packer will take care of day-to-day details, but you should:
- Be present for the first few runs, which can help nip any problems in the bud.
- Understand component costs and get quotes from a range of suppliers.
Keep in mind that sourcing materials through your co-packer might be a smart business decision. Co-packers often have strong working relationships with local suppliers, letting them source the best ingredients and materials at the best prices.
3. Find the Right Co-Packing Partner
A good co-packer will work with you to provide helpful tips when you need them, but it’s important that you – the developer of the product – research and plan beforehand to approach the process with a solid understanding of the production path and your own business development goals.
Before approaching co-packers, make sure you:
- Have a timeline of your production needs including your ordering routines, how many runs you’ll be making, and how many units you’ll produce per run.
- Finalize your list of ingredients (or components) and recipe (or how your products will be manufactured or packaged).
- Learn the jargon commonly used in your industry.
Ultimately, you need to find the co-packer with the experience, equipment, and facilities to get the job done right for you and help you grow your business.
At WG, our experts can handle co-packaging projects according to your unique needs. We have more than 135,000 sq ft of warehouse space, certified facilities, temperature-controlled environments, nut-free facilities, and more. Contact us today to discuss your co-packing needs!
Read more from WG:
- 7 Tips for Choosing the Right Co-Packing Partner
- What is a Co-Packer?
- 6 Benefits of Working with a Co-Packer
- Congratulations to David John Vongalu, Winner of This Year’s WG Leadership Award at Sheridan College’s Pilon School of Business - June 23, 2017
- 4 Future-Forward Co-Packing Trends - May 2, 2017
- WG Connects with Companies Eager to Grow in North America at the International Sweet and Snack Fair in Germany - February 23, 2017