3 Signs It’s Time to Find a New Co-Packer
Posted By: Karl Wirtz
Posted On: 22nd August ‘ 16
Everything seems to be working well with your co-packer. Production is running smoothly, and higher sales are helping your business reach new levels of success. But then the cracks start to appear. Production gets delayed because your co-packer’s facilities can’t keep up, though costs continue to grow. You’re eager to incorporate new product lines and packaging ideas, however you aren’t confident your co-packer will have the flexibility to make that happen.
Does this story sound familiar? If it does, check out these three signs that it might be time for your business to find a new co-packing partner prepared to keep pace with your growth:
1. Your Co-Packer Struggles to Scale With You
Working with a co-packer should make it easy to expand your brand’s reach and boost sales, which is why it’s crucial your co-packer be ready to work with you.
Your co-packer should have:
- The space to scale. This means having facilities large enough to handle your needs when you partner with them and investing in new locations to enable and encourage future expansion.
- The right facilities, including temperature-controlled zones and segregated nut and nut-free areas.
Your co-packer needs to be flexible, ready to work with you to guarantee the best results – whether this means scaling production up or down to respond to fluctuating demand or changing packaging to reflect seasonal promotions.
2. Your Co-Packer’s Location Limits Your Options
When it comes to choosing a co-packer, location is an important factor to take into account. Your co-packer should be located close to both your location, which makes as-needed visits a hassle-free experience, and major transportation hubs including:
- Airports: WG Pro’s facilities are located close to Toronto’s Pearson International Airport.
- Border Crossings: Our Toronto-area co-packing facilities are near to major US border crossings, including Detroit (under four hours) and Buffalo (under two hours).
A prime location will help you keep transportation costs in check and give you access to new domestic and international markets.
3. Your Co-Packer Lacks the Necessary Certifications and Regulations
Depending on the types of products you need packaged, the right certifications make a world of difference. This is especially true for foods and pharmaceuticals.
Certifications and compliances to watch for include:
- GFSI compliance.
- HACCP, AIB, and BRC certification.
- Health Canada approval.
- DEL licensing.
- Segregated nut and nut-free zones.
Having the right up-to-date certifications proves your co-packer has taken steps to develop stringent safety and quality control systems, nurturing responsible behaviour among all employees throughout its facilities.
Whatever your needs, it’s important to ensure you work with a dedicated co-packing partner to help you boost sales and grow your business.
At WG, our experts can handle co-packaging projects according to your unique needs. We have more than 200,000 sq ft of warehouse space, certified facilities, temperature-controlled environments, nut-free facilities, and more. Contact us today to discuss your co-packing needs!
Read more from WG:
- 7 Tips for Choosing the Right Co-Packing Partner
- Why Finding an HACCP Certified Co-Packer is Important for Your Food Production Business
- How to Re-Work and Save Damaged, Mislabelled, or Defective Products
- Congratulations to David John Vongalu, Winner of This Year’s WG Leadership Award at Sheridan College’s Pilon School of Business - June 23, 2017
- 4 Future-Forward Co-Packing Trends - May 2, 2017
- WG Connects with Companies Eager to Grow in North America at the International Sweet and Snack Fair in Germany - February 23, 2017
- WG Pro Becomes a Certified Organic Co-Packer - January 27, 2017
- How Your Packaging Can Tell Your Brand’s Story - January 11, 2017
- Merry Christmas from WG Pro! - December 20, 2016
- 4 Benefits of Eco-Conscious, Sustainable Packaging - November 30, 2016
- WG Pro Opens a New Co-Packing Facility in Calgary - November 22, 2016
- What to Look for in a New Co-Packing Partner - October 27, 2016
- WG Pro is Excited to Showcase Its New Bakery at Its Open House! - October 5, 2016